Festival of Light and Shadow
The Festival of Light and Shadow in the heart of Slovakia, Banska Bystrica, was founded in 2015 on the occasion of the UN Declaration on the International Year of Light and Light-Based Technologies. The aim of this step was to remind people around the world of the importance of light and optical technology in their everyday lives and in the future development of society. The festival presents in particular new contemporary visual and multimedia art in the public space. The festival presented 61 artistic projects during the first three years, attracting nearly 50,000 viewers to the streets of Banska Bystrica.
The annual Festival of light and shadow is known for its international cooperation. In addition to Slovak authors, young artists from abroad will be presenting themself through their free and demonstrative work in Banská Bystrica.
Festival of light and shadow has the intention of:
- Exhibition in the public space of the city
- Creation of new works of contemporary visual art
- Education of children using interactive art technology
- Public presentation and comparison of young authors and students works
- Alternative form of entertainment and cultural education
- Support of creative industries
- Creative work within local communities
- Application of site- specific research
- New dimensions of architecture ... and much more
The ambition of the organizers is to continue and enhance in Banská Bystrica the tradition of a new format of the contemporary art festival in the public space – an ongoing cultural event of European significance.